Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Suring recently celebrated its 150-year anniversary.
The church, 8540 Trinity Church Road, traces its roots to 1875.
According to church history, the first regular service of which there is any record was conducted by the Rev. P. Thorlaksson on the 14th Sunday after Trinity in that year. On the second Sunday in advent, a group of Lutheran Christians of Norwegian and Swedish extraction banded together as a congregation to be known as the Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Maple Valley.
The preliminary declaration of purpose was signed by Aaron Olson, Magnus Arveson, John Ericsson, Morten Hanson, Thorger Hansen, Gustav Erickson, Daniel Cederblade and John Johnson. Later, a formal constitution was adopted to which the names of Lars Slang, Hans Peterson and Severin Johnson were added.
On Dec. 8, 1876, the congregation was formally incorporated. The articles of incorporation were signed by P. Thorlaksson as pastor and John Ericsson, Aaron Olson and Lars Slang as trustees.
The first church building was erected in 1887 on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Herman Sorenson. Prior to this, services had been conducted in homes and school buildings.
In the spring of 1935, plans for a new church building materialized. A building committee consisted of Martin Olson, A.C. Arveson and Torvell Hanson was formed. Land for the new building was donated by Hans Slang.
The cornerstone was laid Sept. 29, 1935. The building is 30 feet by 60 feet and of brick and tile construction. Construction costs amounted to $6,500. The sanctuary seats 150 and includes a balcony for additional room.
The building of a new sanctuary was also the occasion for choosing a new name for the congregation. The congregation now became known as Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Although the new building was far from completed, the first service — a children’s Christmas service — was held in it Dec. 29, 1935. In April 1936, the first regular service was held.
However, formal dedication did not take place until Aug. 27, 1939, when the building, including the basement, was finally completed. This new building contains, in remodeled form, the altar, altar painting, pulpit, altar rail and baptismal font from the original building. Since its construction in 1935, the sanctuary has been redecorated twice — first in 1952 and again in 1976.
From its incorporation until 1933, the congregation was served by pastors of the Norwegian Lutheran in America,
Beginning in 1933, Trinity’s pastors have been of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, and in 1960, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church officially affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Throughout the years, many memorials have been given to Trinity, which have served to enhance the beauty of the sanctuary and to serve the liturgical functions of the congregation.
A service of celebration was held June 21 at at Trinity with the Rev. Nicholas Buchholz presiding. Guest speaker was the Rev. Tim Shoup. After the service, members and guests enjoyed a luncheon at sister congregation St. John’s in Suring.


