Bowler home destroyed by fire

Homeowner taken to hospital, treated for injuries
By: 
Kevin Passon
Editor-in-chief

One person was injured and a home was destroyed by fire the afternoon of Dec. 2 in Bowler.

Bowler Area Fire District Fire Chief Dan Ladwig said the homeowner was taken to a hospital, but he had no other information as to why the man was treated.

The West Rollman Street home was engulfed in flames when firefighters first arrived just before noon.

“I have the shop (Ladwig’s Tire and Lube) right across from the post office,” the fire chief said.

Property lines of the post office and the house on fire abut in the back.

“I looked through the yard and saw that flames were flying all around the house already,” Ladwig said. “And just then the pager went off.”

Joining the Bowler Area Fire District were the firefighters from the Mattoon and Stockbridge-Munsee fire departments.

“We were on the scene until about 4:15 or so,” Ladwig said. “The house was bulldozed that day. We were called back before 8 a.m. Sunday, because it was flaring up again.”

No official cause has been determined, but Ladwig said he heard from a Shawano County sheriff’s deputy that the homeowner fell asleep on the couch, and the fire could have started from a burning cigarette.